Kickoff: 2:30 PM CT
Location: Oklahoma Memorial Stadium
Notes & Storylines
- Today’s game will mark the first in the head coaching career of Brent Venables.
- Oklahoma is 98-23-6 all-time in season openers and has won its last five and 11 of its last 12.
- This marks the 23rd straight season the Sooners have been ranked in the preseason AP poll.
- Seventeen of the Sooners’ previous 22 head coaches (and nine of the last 10) won their OU head coaching debut. The only five who didn’t were John Harts (1895), Fred Roberts (1901), Tom Stidham (1937), Jim Tatum (1946) and John Blake (1996).
- UTEP went 7-6 last season and finished fourth in the seven-team Conference USA West Division with a 4-4 record.
- The Miners opened their 2022 season last Saturday with a 31-13 home conference loss to North Texas.
- Oklahoma is 4-0 all-time against UTEP.
- OU has forced 13 turnovers in the four games against UTEP while committing three (all in the 2000 matchup).
- The Sooners will debut a new starting quarterback in the season opener for the fifth time in the last six years.
- Forty-seven of OU’s 115 players (41%) are new to the program this season, while 60 players (52%) have never played in a game for the Sooners.
Odds & Predictions
Game Preview Posts
Follow us on Twitter: @SportsHeartland