Oklahoma State Cowboys

Offense Stutters as Cowboys Fall to Red Raiders at Home

Zachary Low



After knocking off the 17th-ranked Boise State Broncos last week, the Oklahoma State Cowboys put themselves into the Big 12 Title Game conversation. Unfortunately, they were unable to capitalize as they fell at home to the Texas Tech Red Raiders 41-17.

The Cowboys started the game off with the ball, but they were unable to get anything going early and were forced to punt. The Red Raiders were able to get something going on offense, but the drive stalled after an untimely offensive pass interference call, and they had to punt as well, which was downed at the Oklahoma State one-yard line.

The Cowboys started the next drive with back-to-back false start penalties, but since they were already on their own one-yard line, it didn’t matter much. Quarterback Taylor Cornelius then kicked it into high gear as he helped march the Cowboys down the field before finding JD King for a 23-yard touchdown to take an early 7-0 lead.

The Red Raiders were able to answer as quarterback Alan Bowman put together an impressive drive that ended in a 12-yard touchdown pass to T.J. Vasher to tie it up at 7-7.

On the next drive for the Cowboys, Oklahoma State picked up right where it left off as they moved down the field with ease. The possession came to a halt, however, and the Cowboys were forced to kick a field goal as Matt Ammendola hit a 39-yarder to make it 10-7.

Texas Tech continued to move the ball on offense, and on the first play of the second quarter, KeSean Carter was able to score on a 2-yard reverse to give the Red Raiders their first lead of the night at 14-10.

Oklahoma State managed to get deep into Texas Tech territory before facing a 4th & 1 situation, where they decided to go for it. Justice Hill was stuffed at the line of scrimmage, and the Cowboys turned the ball over on downs. The Red Raiders took over, but it took just two plays for Bowman to throw his first interception of the season to freshman defensive back Jarrick Bernard.

Deep in Red Raider territory, just a few Cornelius completions and a Justice Hill 13-yard touchdown run later, and the Cowboys were back on top 17-14.

Texas Tech was not ready to lie down, however, as they put together an 8-play 75-yard possession which ended in a 1-yard touchdown run by SaRodorick Thompson to give the Red Raiders a 21-17 lead.

The Cowboys were unable to get a first down and were forced to punt, and Texas Tech was able to get into the red zone before being stopped. Clayton Hatfield knocked in a 31-yard field goal for the Red Raiders to push their lead to 24-17, which is where their lead would be at halftime.

Texas Tech went right to work as they started the second half with the ball. The Red Raiders found their way into the red zone quickly, and after looking at a first and goal at the nine-yard line, it looked like they were set to take a two-possession lead. AJ Green had something else in mind, however, as he was able to intercept Bowman on 2nd and goal to give the Cowboys the ball at their own 20-yard line. Oklahoma State was unable to do anything with it, though, and they were forced to punt.

Alan Bowman came out and did not let the interception bother him at all as he managed to easily pick the Cowboy defense apart. It took the Red Raiders less than two minutes to march 62 yards as Demarcus Felton scored on a 27-yard run to give Texas Tech a 31-17 lead, the largest of the night.

The Cowboys looked as if they had life as they marched into Red Raider territory, but they were stopped on 3rd and long, and Matt Ammendola missed a 36-yard field goal. Texas Tech took over at their own 20, but the Cowboy defense was able to step in and make some plays, and on 3rd & 12, Mike Scott was able to sack Bowman and force the Red Raiders to punt. Unfortunately for the Cowboys, Tylan Wallace muffed the return, and Tech was able to recover deep in Oklahoma State Territory.

After marching to another first and goal, the Cowboy defense once again stiffened and sacked Bowman on third down, forcing the Red Raiders to kick another field goal extending their lead to 34-17.

Oklahoma State was unable to get anything going on offense in the fourth quarter, and Texas Tech was able to find the end zone once again on a 17-yard run by Felton to make it 41-17, and that was all she wrote in Stillwater.


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: