“We accomplished a lot of things that we wanted to here, tonight – our first road win, having an opportunity to go undefeated in our non-conference again, that is always a big goal of ours. Different teams in different venues present different challenges, and I thought we grew some here this week. Our mentality, playing all three sides of the ball, we’ve continued to get better. Going into this bye week there are still a ton of things that we have to get better at and learn from tonight. You feel like this team is feeding off each other, and that is such a difficult thing to simulate as you go through spring and camp, and then all of a sudden you are playing on the same team and there is a feel and a flow of the game. You build off each other’s momentum, and you could feel that on the sideline tonight. We’ve got a lot of work to do with a bye week before we jump into Big 12 play and also, I’d be wrong if I didn’t say anything about it. But with our fans, wow. How many fans came out here to California to watch us play? It meant a lot to our team and our guys noticed it. They helped to create a really nice atmosphere for us. It was loud, which is something to say when you’re that far from home. It’s an example of how we are different. Our staff and players really appreciate it.” – Lincoln Riley Opening Statement
“He played pretty good. He made the majority of plays that he was supposed to make and then a few where he made a couple off script that were important plays. I mean, he threw the ball well. He took some steps from the last couple of weeks. It’s a laundry list of things to get better at, and that is how I will approach it with him.” – Lincoln Riley on Jalen Hurts
“I thought they played well. I thought they responded. They got challenged this week. I thought they were aggressive. And UCLA is going to be fine. They are a big, physical front. So, to do some of the things we did in the run game against them was pretty good. We had a couple of penalties, but nothing concerning to me. We did have a couple of penalties, but we took some steps. Some of our young guys did some nice things, as well.” – Lincoln Riley on the offensive line
“I think that he’s a special player. He’s as good as I’ve ever had the opportunity to coach against. I’d put Jalen Hurts and Kyler Murray, who we’d played against last year, and Andrew Luck as the three quarterbacks who I’ve coached against. He has an answer with his feet, and he’s got an answer with his arm. What we saw tonight is that he’s a very special player. I’m sure he’ll continue to do that for the rest of the year.” – UCLA head coach Chip Kelly on Jalen Hurts
“He definitely is a hell of a player, as you can see by his performance tonight, he showed that. I knew coming into the game I had to match his intensity and his play. So, yeah, he brought my game up.” – UCLA Quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson on Jalen Hurts
“I mean we’re definitely not happy with the outcome but you know it’s going to sting tonight but we’re going to come back ready Monday ready to work.” – UCLA running back Demetric Felton on the team’s feelings after the loss
“Number one is a really good ball player. He might be one of the best ball players we play all year. The way he played was really a testament to the player he is. So, we prepared the best we could, we had a really good week of practice and number one is just a great player.” – UCLA defensive lineman Atonio Mafi on Oklahoma’s offensive effenciency
• Oklahoma won its 21st consecutive true road game, the longest active streak in the country.
• The Sooners improved to 27-4-1 all-time as the No. 5 team in the AP poll, and to 9-3 in true road games with the ranking.
• OU has gained at least 600 total yards, rushed for at least 300 yards and passed for at least 300 yards in all three games this season.
• Saturday night marked the 43rd time in 57 games since the start of the 2015 season that OU registered at least 500 yards of total offense, and the 23rd time in that span the Sooners topped 600 yards of total offense.
• The Sooners rushed for 300 yards and passed for 300 yards for the 13th time in program history (eighth time in the last two seasons and seventh time in the last 10 games).
• Oklahoma averaged 7.54 yards per rush after averaging 7.95 last week against South Dakota and 9.57 against Houston.
• The OU defense recorded four sacks in the game, its most since last year against Baylor when it had six sacks.
• The Sooners recorded at least two takeaways for the second straight game (three last week). OU is plus-five in turover margin over the last two games, with no giveaways.
• Oklahoma forced a punt on its opponent’s opening drive for the third straight game.
• Completed 15 of 20 passes for 289 yards and three touchdowns, and rushed 14 times for 150 yards and a score. Hurts has thrown nine passing TDs (no INTs) and rushed for four more through three games. He has thrown three TDs in each game this season.
• Saturday was only the eighth time an OU QB has rushed for at least 150 yards in a game. He also ran for 176 yards against Houston.
• Became the first Oklahoma quarterback to ever rush for 100 yards or more in the opening quarter of a game (103).
• Became the first Sooner to record at least 200 passing yards (206) and 100 rushing yards (141) in the first half of a game.
• His 141 rushing yards in the first half tonight stand as the most ever by an OU quarterback in the opening half of a game.
• Scored his third touchdown of the season on a 39-yard reception from QB Jalen Hurts in the first quarter. It was his 21st career TD catch, tying him for seventh most in OU history.
• Has scored a receiving touchdown in all three games this season.
• Scored his first career rushing TD on a 1-yard run in the second quarter.
• With his 1-yard rushing TD, he has scored a TD by rushing, receiving and passing in his career. Lamb’s lone career TD pass came in the CFP Semifinal at the Rose Bowl against Georgia in the 2017 season (a 2-yarder to QB Baker Mayfield). Mayfield is the last Sooner to accomplish the feat.
• Led the Sooners with five catches, 116 receiving yards and two receiving touchdowns. It is his second career 100-yard receiving game (also this season vs. Houston).
• Hauled in a 49-yard TD pass from Hurts in the second quarter. His five career TDs have come in the last four games (four this year and one against Alabama in last year’s CFP Semifinal at the Orange Bowl).
• Recorded his first career multiple touchdown game.
• Made his first career field goal with a 22-yarder in the first quarter. He was 2 for 2 on field goals in the fgame, also nailing one from 32 yards.
• Also made all six extra-point attempts, and is 23 for 23 on PATs this season.
Follow us on Twitter: @SportsHeartland