Kickoff: 6 PM CT
Location: Boone Pickens Stadium
Radio: Cowboy Radio Network
Twitter: Follow @HeartlandPokes for live-tweets during the game
Oklahoma State opens up Big 12 conference play today as they host the Kansas State Wildcats. The Wildcats are 3-0 on the season, and they have shown some impressive defense thus far, holding opponents to just 15.7 points per game.
The Cowboys enter today’s game with a 3-0 record, and all three of them have been a little too close for comfort. Last week, Oklahoma State pulled off an upset in Boise against the Boise State Broncos, and despite getting the run game going, the pass game needs some work. Meanwhile, the Cowboy defense is looking as good as ever.
A Win Today Would…
- Give OSU a 4-0 for the second straight season and for the sixth time in the Mike Gundy era.
- Give OSU a sixth straight win, securing their longest winning streak since OSU won seven straight in 2016.
- Make the Cowboys 42-26 all-time vs. Kansas State and 23-9 vs. Kansas State in Stillwater.
- Give OSU three straight wins vs. Kansas State, marking the longest streak for either team in the series since OSU won three straight in 2007, 2010 and 2011.
- Make OSU 9-4 in the past 13 games against Kansas State.
- Make OSU 7-1 in the past eight home games against Kansas State.
- Improve Mike Gundy’s career record vs. Kansas State to 9-5.
- Improve Mike Gundy’s record in Big 12 games to 84-55
- Improve OSU to 12-3 in its past 15 games, 21-8 in its past 29 games, 45-18 in its past 63 games and 59-24 in its past 83 games.
- Make OSU 13-2 in its past 15 games played when not ranked by the AP.
- Make OSU 11-5 in its past 16 games and 15-8 in its past 23 games vs. AP Top 25 teams.
- Make OSU 9-3 in its past 12 games when playing as a team outside of the AP Top 25 against a team ranked in the AP Top 25.
- Improve OSU to 26-22 vs. AP ranked teams since the beginning of the 2011 season.
- Mark Mike Gundy’s 32nd career win vs. AP Top 25 opponents. Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney are the only other active coaches with more wins over AP Top 25 teams at their current schools.
Notable Streaks and Trends Entering the Game
- OSU has held its opponent scoreless on its game-opening drive in 17 of the past 20 games and 6 of the last 7.
- OSU has held its opponent to less than a 50% third-down conversion rate in 14 straight games.
- OSU has held 12 of its past 14 Big 12 opponents under their season scoring average.
- Malcolm Rodriguez has recorded at least 8 tackles in 8 straight games.
- Rodriguez has led OSU in tackles in every game this season.
- Jaylen Warren has scored a rushing touchdown in each of his past 4 games played.
- OSU has won 74 consecutive games when holding its opponent to fewer than 20 points, dating back to Sept. 13, 2003 – the longest active stretch of time in the FBS and longest since at least 1980.
- OSU is 29-10 in its past 39 games decided by fewer than 10 points.
- OSU is 33-5 in its past 38 games when leading at halftime, dating back to Sept. 17, 2016.
- Dating back to 2005, OSU is 41-3 when not committing a turnover.
- Dating back to 2008, OSU is 65-8 when winning the turnover battle.
- OSU has won three of its last four overtime games.
- OSU has forced 14 turnovers in its last seven games.
Staff Score Predictions
|Matt||22-16 Kansas State|