Week 3 saw most of the Big 12 wrap up non-conference play and start preparing for the chase to gain a spot in December’s Big 12 championship game. After three weeks we’ve seen the conference begin to shape up with Kansas being the biggest surprise. The 3-0 Jayhawks are #7 in this week’s poll and while that isn’t incredibly high, it’s much better than the #9 position they held at the onset at the season. Individually, KU was ranked as high as #4 this week and as low as #6.
Our top three remain the same but Kansas State did take a dive after losing to Tulane. Perhaps we were a little too harsh on the Wildcats but we dropped them from #4 last week all the way down to #9 this week. K-State is definitely our biggest loser this go around.
Iowa State is on the rise this week after beating up on Ohio. The Cyclones are up two spots to #6 this week.
2022 Heartland Sports Big 12 Power Rankings
|6. Iowa State||16|
|8. Texas Tech||8|
|9. Kansas State||7|
|10. West Virginia||4|
1. Oklahoma | The Sooners put on an impressive performance on the road in Lincoln. Now conference play begins and its time to see if this team can continue passing the eye test.
2. Oklahoma State | The Pokes put a beat down on Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Despite the opponent it was the best the offense or defense has looked all season. OSU even scored a couple of touchdowns on special teams.
3. Baylor | Baylor bounced back from the BYU loss with a big win over Texas State. Sure, it was another tune up game but it was still impressive nonetheless.
5. Iowa State
8. Texas Tech
9. Kansas State | Things were looking real good for the Wildcats until Tulane rolled into town and spoiled the season. I think they can bounce back and have a solid season, but they’ve still got to be ranked towards the bottom for now.
10. West Virginia – I’m sorry, but a 65-7 win over Towson still doesn’t erase a conference loss to Kansas. West Virginia has some work to do in the coming weeks.
1. Oklahoma | The Sooners produced their most well-rounded game of the season by holding Nebraska to just 14 total points, 7 came in garbage time, while racking up 49 points and 580 total yards of offense.
2. Texas | A week after dropping a heartbreaker to Alabama the Longhorns rebounded with an impressive second half performance to pull away from UTSA by a final of 41-20. It wasn’t a perfect performance but many, including myself, expected this to be a much closer game.
3. TCU | The Frogs had the weekend off so there’s really not a reason to move them anywhere at this point.
4. Oklahoma State
6. Iowa State
7. Kansas State
9. Texas Tech | I was starting to buy in on the Red Raiders but the never really looked like they had a chance during their 27-14 loss at NC State.
10. West Virginia | The Mountaineers finally picked up win #1 on the season but it came at the hands of Towson. They’ve still got a long way to go in order to climb out of the basement.
1. Oklahoma | The Sooners put up an impressive win against the Cornhuskers regardless of the terrible state of things in Omaha. They look like the best team in the conference right now.
2. Oklahoma State | The Cowboys played a pretty flawless game against an awful opponent, but what’s great is how well the backups played. They’re looking pretty good through non-conference schedule.
3. Texas | The Longhorns struggled against UTSA for most of the game, but they pulled away late and won big. They’re going to be tough to beat this season.
6. Iowa State
8. Texas Tech
9. West Virginia | The Mountaineers picked up their first win of the season, but it was against Towson, so yeah…not impressed.
10. Kansas State | The Wildcats started the season as a dark horse to win the Big 12, or so I thought. Losing to Tulane just a week after blasting Missouri screams inconsistency.
Follow us on Twitter: @SportsHeartland