Down by two with just 11 seconds in the game, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander had a chance to tie or put the Oklahoma City ahead on Monday night when the Thunder played the New Orleans Pelicans at the Smoothie King Center. SGA was whistled for a charge, which was later deemed the incorrect call, and the Thunder dropped their fifth game in the last six tries to move to 8-13 on the season.
The Thunder returns home to Oklahoma City on Wednesday night to host the San Antonio Spurs, who have lost 8 straight and won just once in the last 14 games. The Spurs started off the season in surprising fashion, jumping out to a 5-2 record, but reality set in as they have fallen to 6-15.
Entering the season, it was expected that San Antonio would be in full rebuild mode, and if you take a look at the roster you’ll understand why. The Spurs have a lot of young potential, but they lack a true star, and they simply do not have the makeup of a team that is going to be competitive on a regular basis. Still, head coach Gregg Popovich is one of the best to ever do it, so the Thunder cannot count the Spurs out before the game ever tips off.
Tip-Off: 7 PM CT
Location: Paycom Center (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma)
Television: Bally Sports Oklahoma
Radio: WWLS 98.1FM OKC The Sports Animal
Twitter: Follow @ZacharyLowNBA for live tweets and discussion during the game
- PG: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
- SG: Josh Giddey
- SF: Luguentz Dort
- PF: Aleksej Pokusevski
- C: Jeremiah Robinson-Earl
- PG: Tre Jones
- SG: Devin Vassell
- SF: Romeo Langford
- PF: Keldon Johnson
- C: Zach Collins
- Shai Gilgeous-Alexander is QUESTIONABLE (left hip contusion).
- Chet Holmgren is OUT (right foot surgery).
- Mike Muscala is OUT (fractured left pinky).
- Eugene Omoruyi is OUT (G League — two-way).
- Lindy Waters is OUT (G League — two-way).
- Jaylin Williams is OUT (G League — on assignment).
- Dominick Barlow is OUT (G League — two-way).
- Keita Bates-Diop is QUESTIONABLE (sprained left ankle).
- Romeo Langford is QUESTIONABLE (lower back tightness).
- Jakob Poeltl is OUT (right knee bone bruise).
- Josh Richardson is QUESTIONABLE (sprained right ankle).
- Jeremy Sochan is OUT (right quad contusion).
- Blake Wesley is OUT (sprained left MCL).
- Since arriving in Oklahoma City in 2008, the Thunder is 22-28 against the Spurs in the regular season (15-11 at home, 7-17 away) and 10-8 against them in the playoffs (7-2 at home, 3-6 away).
- Since arriving in Oklahoma City, the Thunder has won the season series with the Spurs twice, lost it 4 times, and tied 7 times.
- The Thunder went 1-3 against the Spurs last season (1-1 at home, 0-2 on the road).