Tip-Off: 2 PM CT
Location: Chesapeake Energy Arena (Oklahoma City, OK)
Radio: WWLS 98.1FM OKC The Sports Animal
Twitter: Follow @TheThunderGuys for live-tweets during the game
Oklahoma City was rocking on Friday night as local basketball fans got their first in-person viewing of this new-look Thunder squad. Russell Westbrook was back in action, and while he only played the first quarter, he was extremely productive in his limited time.
Today’s opponent for the Thunder comes all the way from Australia. Melbourne United is a men’s professional basketball team from Melbourne, Australia, competing in the National Basketball League (NBL). This is the first time for Melbourne United to play in Oklahoma City, so it should be an especially fun game for fans on the other side of the world.
- Russell Westbrook and Carmelo Anthony could see an increase in minutes, potentially playing as late as the third quarter.
- Alex Abrines and Patrick Patterson are still out recovering from left knee injuries.
- Last season, Thunder rookie Terrance Ferguson played for the Adelaide 36ers, an NBL team located in South Australia.
- Melbourned United’s star guard Casey Prather played at Florida University under Billy Donovan (2010-14). Prather played for the Cleveland Cavaliers in this last offseason’s Summer League.
- Westbrook stirred the pot yesterday when asked what he expected out of Melbourne United, responding with “I ain’t expecting s**t.” He cited his loyalty to Steven Adams, a New Zealand native. “I’m rolling with Stevo…I’m with New Zeal, team New Zealand, just so you know.”
- The Thunder are 1-1 in preseason play.
- The Thunder kicks off the regular season in 11 days.
Article written by Zack Low. Follow @TheThunderGuys on Twitter and Instagram.