There’s a lot at stake when the Sooners and Cowboys mix it up in Stillwater on Saturday afternoon, and it goes way beyond state bragging rights. The Big 12 has been decided by the Bedlam game the two seasons and this year’s game could serve as an elimination. Not only is a berth in next month’s conference championship hanging in the balance for both teams, but a potential playoff bid as well.
Kickoff: 3:00 PM (CST)
Location: Boone Pickens Stadium – Stillwater, Oklahoma
Odds: Oklahoma State -1.5
- The Sooners are playing for their 15th consecutive true road win.
- Saturday will mark the 32nd time ESPN’s Game Day will have been on hand for a game involving Oklahoma. Only Ohio State (41 times), Alabama (39), Florida (37) and Florida State (33) have been featured more often than the Sooners.
- The Sooners are 22-9 in games where Game Day is present.
- Saturday is the 112th all-time meeting between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.
- The rivalry ties Texas for the Sooners’ most games against a program.
- Oklahoma is 14-1 against Oklahoma State when both teams are ranked in the AP poll.
- The Sooners are 12-0 against the Cowboys when they are the higher ranked team.
- OU’s 86 wins against OSU are its most against one opponent and tied for the second most in FBS history against one program (Nebraska has 86 wins vs. Iowa State and 91 wins vs. Kansas).
- Oklahoma’s 39 wins in Stillwater are its most on the road versus an opponent.
- OU has won 20 of its last 21 Big 12 games dating back to the 2015 season.
- This marks just the second time since the start of the 2005 season that the Bedlam game is not the final regular season contest for the two programs.
- Oklahoma State has won four straight games and is coming off a 50-39 victory at West Virginia on Saturday.
Oklahoma’s Top Playmaker
Baker Mayfield is the best college football player in America. There are those who doubt that but all he ever does and prove his doubters wrong. For the season he’s completing 72.5% of his passes for 2,628 yards. He’s thrown 23 touchdowns in 2017 to just three interceptions.
Oklahoma State’s Top Playmaker
James Washington is the most explosive player in the country. He’s seemingly impossible to cover and has racked up 1,005 yards and 8 touchdowns on 45 receptions. Washington is averaging 22.3 yards per catch.
Oklahoma’s Difference Maker
Receiver Mark Andrews is a nightmare for opposing defenses. He creates a terrible mismatch with defensive backs and linebackers alike because of his size (6-5/254) and athleticism. He’s averaging 16.6 yards per reception and has four scores on the season.
Oklahoma State’s Difference Maker
Justice Hill has seen a workload increase over the last month. In the four games leading up to Bedlam he’s carried the ball 89 times for an average of 6.15 yards per carry and three touchdowns. He makes the OSU offense function at a completely different level.
The Weakness of the Sooners
Opposing quarterbacks are completing 61% of their passes against Oklahoma’s secondary. The Sooners have allowed 13 passing touchdowns this season and have only picked off four passes.
The Weakness of the Cowboys
Mason Rudolph has been sacked 10 times in eight games this season. That number gets a bit more alarming when you consider hat Rudolph didn’t play the second half in OSU’s first three games of the season. Offensive line struggles have been present all season long but the Cowboys have been able to deal with it for the most part.
Oklahoma secondary vs. Oklahoma State passing attack
Oklahoma State’s passing attack is dangerous! They lead the Big 12 at 370.6 yards per game and Oklahoma’s secondary is giving up 239.6 yards per game which ranks them fourth in the conference. Advantage: Oklahoma State
Oklahoma front seven vs. Oklahoma State run game
The Sooners are sixth in the conference against the run with opponents racking up 142.5 yards per game. OSU is grinding out 198.6 yards per game at an average of 4.8 yards per carry. Advantage: Oklahoma State
Oklahoma State secondary vs. Oklahoma passing attack
Baker Mayfield likes a challenge and that’s exactly what he’s going to get from an Oklahoma State’s secondary that leads the conference with 12 interceptions. Mayfield leads a passing attack that is on par with OSU’s. Only a yard separates them in the per game average and OU has three more touchdowns to three less interceptions than their instate rivals. Advantage: Oklahoma
Oklahoma State front seven vs. Oklahoma rushing attack
The Sooners lead the conference in rushing with 216.5 yards per game. With all the attention that Mayfield and Oklahoma’s passing attack draws, the impact of the rushing game takes a backseat. Don’t allow that to cause you to overlook the fact that the Sooners are bringing four running backs with a combined average of 7 yards per carry against an OSU defense giving up 3.3 yards per carry. Advantage: Oklahoma