Oklahoma vs. ORU
Tip: 7:00 PM (Central)
TV: FOX Sports Oklahoma Plus
The Sooners bounced back from last week’s Xavier loss with a 99-77 thrashing of Florida A&M on Saturday. Led by Kur Kuath’s 14 points, all five of Oklahoma’s starters scored in double figures against the Rattler’s but with Oral Roberts visiting on Wednesday night it’ll be the Sooner defense put to the test, particularly on the perimeter.
Last time out ORU shot 57 percent overall and hit 19 3-pointers in a 111-58 win over Southwestern Christian Saturday. Five Golden Eagle players scored in double figures and the bench scored 77 points. The19 made three pointers aren’t an anomaly either. ORU is third in the NCAA in three-point shooting, hitting 13.6 3-pointers per game. Led by sophomore guard Max Abmas’ 3.6 made attempts from deep per game, the Golden Eagles have connected on 68 total three-point shots in six games this season.
Two games ago Xavier connected on a program best 19 three-point shots in routing the Sooners in their only loss of the season. Now, Lon Kruger and his team must show vast improvement to prevent history from repeating itself.
Other Game Notes
• Oklahoma has two of the top-four scorers in the Big 12 in seniors Brady Manek (17.5 points per game) and Austin Reaves (16.3). The Sooners are the only Big 12 team with multiple players averaging over 16 points.
• Reaves is also second in the Big 12 in assists, dishing out 6.3 dimes per game.
• The Sooners own a 15-2 record all-time against the Golden Eagles and have won 15 consecutive games. OU last lost to the Golden Eagles in 1976 in Tulsa.
• The 15-game winning streak over Oral Roberts is tied for the Sooners’ longest active streak against a Division I opponent. OU has also won 15 games against Coppin State.
• Oklahoma is 21-4 all-time against current members of the Summit League, including 5-1 during the Kruger era.
• Oklahoma’s 87.3 points per game rank second in the Big 12. The Sooners are joined by Baylor (90.8) and Kansas (81.6) as the only Big 12 teams averaging over 80 points.
• The Sooners rank in the top three of the Big 12 in field goal shooting (49.0%, second, 3-point shooting (39.2%, third) and free throw percentage (82.1%, first).
• Sophomore guard De’Vion Harmon is shooting 12-of-13 from the foul line this season. His 92.3% shooting is the best in the Big 12. Austin Reaves is second in the league for free throw shooting at 87.1% (27-of-31).
• Brady Manek leads the Big 12 in both 3-pointers per game (3.5) and 3-point field goal percentage (53.8%).
• The Sooners have won 20 straight home non-conference matchups (17 straight at Lloyd Noble Center). OU’s last non-conference home loss came in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge to Florida on Jan. 28, 2017.
Follow us on Twitter: @SportsHeartland