The postseason marches on for Oklahoma Softball as the Sooners went a perfect 3-0 at the Norman Regional to advance to the super regional round for the 11th consecutive time. OU’s pitching staff threw its 22nd shutout of the season, allowing just one hit for the 10th time of 2021, in Friday night’s win over Morgan State. The Sooners spent Saturday and Sunday beating Wichita State and shattering records. Here’s a quick look at how Oklahoma rewrote the record books.
• 50 runs scored over the three weekend games set an NCAA Regional record.
• 24 runs scored against Wichita State on Sunday broke the NCAA Regional single-game record.
• Six home runs in Sunday’s regional final tied the NCAA postseason record for single-game home runs.
• Oklahoma hit 12 home runs on the weekend, bringing its season total to 142. The Sooners moved past 2009 Arizona State’s 134 for sole possession of second place in NCAA history. OU trails only 2010 Hawaii’s 158.
• Oklahoma had a player hit two home runs in each game of the weekend, with Mendes hitting two Friday vs. Morgan State, Lynnsie Elam blasting two vs. Wichita State Saturday and Grace Lyons hitting a pair Sunday vs. the Shockers. It brings the total to 17 times on the season OU has had a player hit two-plus home runs in a game.
• OU’s six home runs Sunday was the fourth time the Sooners have hit six-plus in a game on the year.
• OU has hit two or more homers in 40 of its 50 games this season.
• The team has hit two or more home runs in one inning 30 times in 2021, including three or more eight times and four-plus in one inning five times.
• Rylie Boone’s first career home run Sunday makes it 14 Sooners that have gone deep in 2021. Eleven players have hit at least two.
• Five different Sooners recorded four or more RBIs in a single game this weekend. (Mendes, 7 vs. Morgan State; Elam, 4 vs. WSU, Sat.; Tiare Jennings, 6 vs. WSU, Sun.; Lyons, 5 vs. WSU, Sun.; Boone, 4 vs. WSU, Sun.)
• OU outscored its regional opponents 50-12 and outhit them 46-17.
• Sunday’s 24-7 win over Wichita State broke the NCAA record for highest-scoring postseason game with a combined 31 runs.
• The 31 combined hits between the Sooners and Shockers on Sunday tied the NCAA postseason record for hits in a game.
• Oklahoma’s eight doubles against Morgan State on Friday set an NCAA Division I postseason record.
• Redshirt senior Nicole Mendes broke the program record for RBIs in a postseason game with seven on Friday night.
• Freshman Tiare Jennings set an NCAA regional program record with three doubles against Morgan State.
Follow us on Twitter: @SportsHeartland