This is perhaps the craziest set of rankings that we’ve ever posted. If anything screams, “We just don’t know!” it’s this set of rankings. The only thing that we unanimously agree on is that West Virginia currently sits at the bottom. We’ve got TCU as high at #1 and as low as #9. We’ve got four teams where we have no agreement at all
Feel free to use the comments section to let us know where you agree and disagree.
2022 Heartland Sports Big 12 Power Rankings
|1. Oklahoma State||29|
|3. Kansas State||19|
|7. Texas Tech||17|
|9. Iowa State||7|
|10. West Virginia||3|
1. Oklahoma State | Oklahoma State had a bye week, but when you’re right behind the number one team after a loss you move up. The Cowboys will have a chance to earn their top spot next week against Baylor.
2. Baylor | Baylor pulled off an impressive win over Iowa State to start conference play 1-0. Their tough schedule continues next week as they host Oklahoma State. This will be their biggest test since losing to BYU.
3. Texas Tech | Look at the Red Raiders! They earn their first win on the road at Texas since 2009. Their only loss this year is to #10 NC State.
4. Kansas State
8. Iowa State
9. TCU | It doesn’t feel right to put TCU this low but someone has to be at the bottom. With a matchup against Oklahoma this week they have a chance to move up.
10. West Virginia | The loss to Kansas is looking better and better each week for West Virginia. But, I don’t think a win over Virginia Tech was enough to move up in the rankings.
1. TCU | You might say that I’m going out of my way to keep from putting Oklahoma State at #1. There might be some truth to that bot both the Cowboys and Frogs are both undefeated but I could argue that TCU has had the tougher to the two schedules.
2. Oklahoma State | Cowboy fans have to be elated after seeing Oklahoma and Texas go down over the weekend. They’re in prime position to take control of the conference now.
3. Kansas | Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!! I have been high on KU since the preseason and now here they are as the Big 12’s only 4-0 squad.
4. Kansas State
6. Texas Tech
9. Iowa State | The Cyclones are reloading and hosting Baylor last weekend was a good opportunity to prove themselves. Unfortunately they didn’t come through but more opportunities are on the horizon.
10. West Virginia | Last week’s road win over a terrible Virginia Tech team was the best accomplishment for the Mountaineers this season.
1. Oklahoma State | The Cowboys are the highest ranked team in the conference, and yes, part of that is the benefit of having a bye week. Still, they haven’t lost, and they look like the best team in the conference…so far.
2. Baylor | Despite losing to BYU a couple weeks ago, the Bears are still a solid team, and they held off Iowa State, so they move up to the 2 for me.
3. Oklahoma | The Sooners lost a game I honestly thought they were going to win by a mile, but it happens. They’re still a contender in the Big 12, so they don’t drop too far for me.
5. Kansas State
7. Texas Tech
9. Iowa State | A narrow loss to Baylor wasn’t bad, but the Cyclones have yet to do anything impressive, while every team above them has on some level.
10. West Virginia | The Mountaineers had a solid win over Virginia Tech, but they’ve got the weakest résumé in the conference so far.
Follow us on Twitter: @SportsHeartland