Kickoff: 2:30 PM CT
Location: David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium (Lawrence, Kansas)
Radio: Cowboy Radio Network
Twitter: Follow @HeartlandPokes for live-tweets during the game
The no. 18 Oklahoma State Cowboys (6-2) are set to take on the unranked Kansas Jayhawks (5-3) in Lawrence, Kansas, on Saturday afternoon. The Cowboys are dealing with a handful of injuries, and as a result, the Jayhawks are slight favorites to win the game.
How the Cowboys Can Win
STOP GIVING UP BIG PLAYS. The Cowboys defense has made big plays throughout this season, but their biggest issue has been giving up big plays for massive yardage that usually result in a touchdown. If the defense can lock in and keep everything underneath, Oklahoma State can pull one out on the road.
How the Jayhawks Can Win
Get pressure in the backfield. That needs to be the focus for Kansas. Regardless of who is playing at quarterback today, if the Jayhawks can get pressure in the backfield and keep Oklahoma State from running the ball and having time to throw it, it could be a long day for Cowboy fans.
Staff Score Predictions
|Craig||34-30 Oklahoma State|
|Zack||38-28 Oklahoma State|
An Oklahoma State Win Would…
- Mark 13 straight wins vs. Kansas to extend the OSU school record for consecutive wins against one opponent. OSU’s next-longest streak was an 11-game stretch vs. Kansas State from 1947-62.
- Give OSU eight straight wins in games following a loss, matching the second-longest streak in school history. OSU also won eight games following a loss from 2016-18 and won nine from 1929-32.
- Give OSU wins in 21 of its past 24 games following a loss.
- Make OSU 7-2 or better for the second straight season and for the 10th time in the Mike Gundy era.
- Make OSU 7-3 in its past 10 road games.
- Give OSU wins in nine of its past 11 regular season conference games.
- Give OSU wins in 18 of its past 19 matchups with the Jayhawks.
- Give OSU 10 straight road wins over KU.
- Make the Cowboys 42-29-2 all-time vs. Kansas and 24-15-1 vs. KU in Lawrence.
- Improve Mike Gundy’s career record vs. Kansas to 14-1.
- Make OSU 21-4 in its past 25 games overall, dating back to the 2020 season. The 21 wins would match OSU’s best total for wins over a 25-game stretch since it recorded 22 from 2010-12.
Notable Streaks and Trends Entering the Game
- Spencer Sanders has thrown for 19 touchdowns against just five interceptions in his past 356 pass attempts for an interception rate of 1.4%.
- OSU has held 26 of its past 29 Big 12 opponents under their season scoring average.
- OSU has won 81 consecutive games when holding its opponent to fewer than 20 points, dating back to Sept. 13, 2003 – the longest active stretch of time in the FBS and longest since at least 1980.
- OSU has held its opponent scoreless on its game opening drive in 28 of its past 39 games.
- OSU has held its opponent to less than a 50% third down conversion rate in 32 of its past 33 games.
- OSU is 33-13 in its past 46 games decided by fewer than 10 points.
- OSU is 43-7 in its past 50 games when leading at halftime, dating back to Sept. 17, 2016.
- Dating back to 2005, OSU is 45-4 when not committing a turnover.
- Dating back to 2008, OSU is 73-8 when winning the turnover battle.