Kickoff: 2:30 PM CT
Location: Boone Pickens Stadium (Stillwater, Oklahoma)
Radio: Cowboy Radio Network
Twitter: Follow @HeartlandPokes for live-tweets during the game
The Oklahoma State Cowboys have seen their season take a dramatic turn for the worse after dropping two straight losses in embarrassing fashion, but they look to get back on track on Saturday afternoon when they host the Iowa State Cyclones. The Cyclones are very clearly in a rebuilding season, and they have had very little success in conference play–aside from a win over West Virginia–but they have managed to keep games close, so this is likely to be a fight to the finish.
How the Cowboys Can Win
Find a way to score, and Oklahoma State can come away with a win. The offense has really struggled the last couple of weeks, largely due to the absence of the injured Spencer Sanders, and it is unclear at this point whether or not he will appear today. This week is especially important for the ball to move for a couple of reasons. First off, the Cowboys need some offensive momentum moving forward. Secondly, Iowa State’s offense is not great, so Oklahoma State’s defense should be able to get enough stops to give them a chance to win. Find the end zone early and get ahead, and I think the Cowboys could even run away with this one.
How the Cyclones Can Win
Force the Cowboys into turnovers, and Iowa State will have a really good chance to win this one. Oklahoma State has piled up 7 turnovers in their last 2 losses, and there’s a direct correlation. Iowa State’s offense is not very good, so they’re going to have to turn this into a defensive game if they want to win.
Staff Score Predictions
|Craig||28-21 Oklahoma State|
|Matt||29-27 Oklahoma State|
|Zack||28-24 Oklahoma State|
An Oklahoma State Win Would…
- Improve the school-record home winning streak to 14 games.
- Give the Cowboys wins in eight of the past nine and in 21 of the past 25 games following a loss.
- Make the Cowboys 7-3 or better for the fourth straight season and for the 13th time in the Mike Gundy era.
- Give the Cowboys wins in nine of its past 12 regular season conference games.
- Give the Cowboys wins in 11 of its past 14 matchups with Iowa State.
- Give the Cowboys wins in seven of the past eight matchups with Iowa State in Stillwater.
- Make the Cowboys 34-20-3 all-time vs. Iowa State and 19-7-2 vs. Iowa State in Stillwater.
- Improve Mike Gundy’s career record vs. Iowa State to 11-4.
- Make the Cowboys 21-5 in its past 26 games overall, dating back to the 2020 season.
Notable Streaks and Trends Entering the Game
- Spencer Sanders has thrown for 19 touchdowns against just five interceptions in his past 356 pass attempts for an interception rate of 1.4%.
- OSU has won a school-record 13 consecutive home games.
- OSU has held 27 of its past 30 Big 12 opponents under their season scoring average.
- OSU has won 81 consecutive games when holding its opponent to fewer than 20 points, dating back to Sept. 13, 2003 – the longest active stretch of time in the FBS and longest since at least 1980.
- OSU has held its opponent scoreless on its game opening drive in 28 of its past 40 games.
- OSU has held its opponent to less than a 50% third down conversion rate in 33 of its past 34 games.
- OSU is 33-13 in its past 46 games decided by fewer than 10 points.
- OSU is 43-7 in its past 50 games when leading at halftime, dating back to Sept. 17, 2016.
- Dating back to 2005, OSU is 45-4 when not committing a turnover.
- Dating back to 2008, OSU is 73-8 when winning the turnover battle.
- OSU has forced 38 turnovers in its past 27 games.
- Over the past 34 games, OSU has held opponents to 143-for-513 (27.9%) on third down.