Tip-Off: 8 PM CT
Location: Vivint Smart Home Arena (Salt Lake City, UT)
Radio: WWLS 98.1FM OKC The Sports Animal
Twitter: Follow @TheThunderGuys for live-tweets during the game
Despite not shooting well on Thursday, Oklahoma City had no trouble whatsoever taking care of the New York Knicks, and this season looks bright for the Thunder. The Thunder’s big three, or “OK3” as fans have dubbed them, combined for 71 points, and after a poor shooting night, both Anthony and George had similar things to say.
“Offensively it’s on us to make those shots. I think for myself, if I can speak for PG, we’ve got to get used to those shots,” Anthony said. “We’re not used to having open looks like that, being wide open for shots like that. We’ve got to get comfortable with that and those shots. Those shots will fall.”
George pointed out “There’s nobody that can stay in front of Russ. He’s always going to attract two [defenders], he’s always going to have the defense collapsing. A lot of times I’m going to be catching it wide open and more times than not I’ve got to make them pay for it.”
The Utah Jazz have started off their season at 1-1, losing their most recent contest last night to the Timberwolves in Minnesota. The game was a close one that came down to the final minute of play, but the Jazz fell 97-100.
After losing their All-Star forward Gordon Hayward to free agency in the offseason, Utah was not expected to have much success this season, but they plan on relying on the defensive efforts of Rudy Gobert to give them a chance. Gobert is an early favorite for this season’s defensive player of the year, but Steven Adams has challenged him in their matchups over the last year.
- PG: Russell Westbrook
- SG: Andre Roberson
- SF: Paul George
- PF: Carmelo Anthony
- C: Steven Adams
- PG: Ricky Rubio
- SG: Rodney Hood
- SF: Joe Ingles
- PF: Derrick Favors
- C: Rudy Gobert
- Dante Exum is inactive due to a shoulder injury sustained in the preseason.
- In nine seasons in Oklahoma City, the Thunder are 24-11 against the Jazz (15-2 at home, 9-9 away).
- The Thunder have a 3-game winning streak over the Jazz and have won 7 of the last 8.
- The Thunder and the Jazz have never met in the Western Conference Playoffs.
- Russell Westbrook recorded three triple-doubles in four games against the Jazz last season. All three resulted in a Thunder win.
- The Thunder are 7-2 in regular season road openers.
- Russell Westbrook picked up right where he left off last season by recording a triple-double on Thursday against the Knicks with 21 points, 16 assists, and 10 rebounds.
- The Jazz are 1-0 at home so far this season.
- Thabo Sefalosha, who played six seasons with the Thunder, now plays for the Jazz.
Article written by Zack Low. Follow @TheThunderGuys on Twitter and Instagram.