Cowboys Crush Jayhawks On Senior Day

One week ago, the Oklahoma State Cowboys were upset on their home field by the Kansas State Wildcats 40-45. The loss moved the Cowboys to 8-3 on the season, but even worse, it dropped their home record to 2-3 on the season. With the Kansas Jayhawks slated as the home and regular season finale, the Cowboys were not exactly concerned about losing, but they wanted to play a solid game and send the team’s seniors out right.

Oklahoma State started off the game with the ball, and it did not take very long for them to score. Mason Rudolph found Marcel Ateman for a 54-yard gain, which set up a first-and-goal situation at the Jayhawk three-yard line. Kansas was able to stop the Cowboys on the first three downs, but on a fourth down with only one yard to go, Rudolph ran the ball into the end zone with ease to put Oklahoma State up 7-0 less than three minutes into the game.

The Jayhawk offense would take the field next, but Oklahoma State’s defense would hold them and force Kansas to punt. The Cowboy offense would take over and find no success this time, also being forced to punt after three downs. On the next Kansas possession, the Jayhawks would go nowhere but backwards as they lost eight yards in three downs, which would lead to another punt. The kick was not a good one, and the Cowboys found themselves at midfield with just under nine minutes left in the opening quarter.

Despite the good field position, the Cowboys were stopped short at the Kansas 26-yard line, but kicker Matt Ammendola was able to hit a field goal from 43 yards out to push the Oklahoma State lead to 10-0. On the next drive for Kansas, the Jayhawks were able to find some success and move the chains a little bit, and in the end, Gabriel Rui would kick a 50-yard field goal to make it 10-3 in favor of the Cowboys.

Oklahoma State would get the ball with a little over a minute left in the first quarter, and they went right to work to add points to the scoreboard to start the second quarter. Once again, it took the Cowboys less than three minutes to the move the ball 75 yards down the field, and Justice Hill would run it in from 12 yards out to put Oklahoma State up 17-3.

The Cowboy defense would continue to cause problems for the Jayhawks, and Kansas would be forced to punt yet again. It took Oklahoma State only two plays to find the end zone, this time on a 76-yard strike from Rudolph to Dillon Stoner.

After receiving the kickoff, Kansas would try to find a first down, but they were unsuccessful, so they punted away once again. Oklahoma State would move easily down the field picking up four first downs before being stopped on the Kansas 18-yard line. Ammendola would come in and kick another field goal, this one from 36 yards, to put the Cowboys up 27-3 with a little over four minutes left in the first half.

Another Jayhawk offensive possession would end in another punt, and Oklahoma State would take over at their own 31-yard line. The Cowboys would strike quickly yet again, scoring this time in just a little over a minute. After a 31-yard pass from Rudolph to Ateman and a 29-yard rush by LD Brown, Brown would run it in a from the 1-yard line to give the Cowboys a 34-3 lead with only two minutes to go in the second quarter.

Kansas would take the kickoff, and with less than two minutes left on the clock, they would do something they had not done all day and march down the field with ease. With single digit seconds left on the clock, Jayhawk quarterback Peyton Bender would hit Evan Fairs for a 33-yard touchdown to make it 34-10 in favor of Oklahoma State headed into halftime.

Kansas would get the ball to start the half, but on the third play of the drive, Chad Whitener would intercept Peyton Bender’s pass, and the Cowboy offense would take over at the Jayhawk 30-yard line. On the first play of the drive, Mason Rudolph would hit James Washington for a 30-yard touchdown, pushing the Cowboy lead back to it’s highest of the day with a score of 41-10.

The next few possessions would feature two punts each for both the Cowboys and the Jayhawks, and then finally Kansas would get something going on offense once again. Following a 35-yard kickoff return by Steven Sims to the Cowboy 41-yard line, the Jayhawks would march the rest of the way and score on a 2-yard pass from Bender to Sims to make it 41-17.

Oklahoma State would return the favor on the next possession, putting together an 8-play, 75-yard touchdown drive. Rudolph lead the Cowboys down the field, and once they reached the red zone, the Jayhawks could do nothing to get a stop. Two plays in a row, James Washington was interfered with while trying to catch a pass, so with the Cowboys on the 1-yard line, Mason Rudolph ran in his second touchdown of the day to extend the Cowboy lead to 48-17. The touchdown would give Rudolph the Oklahoma State record for touchdowns responsible for in a season with 45, breaking Barry Sanders’ record of 44 in 1988.

Kansas would then take over with a couple of minutes left in the third quarter, but they were forced to punt.

The Cowboys would put together another really good drive, stretching out 60 yards across 12 plays, but they would have to kick a field goal after failing to get a first down, and Matt Ammendola would knock down his third of the day from 49 yards out, giving Oklahoma State the 51-17 lead.

Like nearly every other possession of the day, the Jayhawks would punt on their next drive, and the Oklahoma State seniors on offense would get a standing ovation as the backups came in to take over. Backup quarterback Taylor Cornelius would take over the helm, and he would march the Cowboys down the field with a 56-yard strike to Tyrell Alexander to put Oklahoma State on the 1-yard line. LD Brown would run it in for the touchdown three plays later to give Oklahoma State the 58-17 lead.

On their final possession of the game, Kansas would be forced into their ninth punt of the day, and Oklahoma State would run the clock out from there, giving the Cowboys the 58-17 victory on Senior Day.

Leave a Reply