Oklahoma’s young guns were on full display in Fort Worth on Saturday. The trio of Spencer Rattler, Seth McGowen, and Marvin Mims were vital to offensive success for the Sooners. Rattler completed 13-of-22 passes for 332 yards and two scores and McGowan tallied 84 all-purpose yards. It was Mims though who would end up etching his name name in the program record books with the best performance of his young career.
Scoring on plays of 50 and 61 yards, it was the second game this season that Mims recorded multiple receiving touchdowns. His 61-yard score in the third quarter was the longest scoring play of the season for the Sooners and his 132 yards were not only a career-high for the youngster but also the first 100 yard performance by a Sooner receiver on the year.
Here’s the best part. Through the first five games of the season Mims has recorded six receiving touchdowns. That’s the most touchdowns by a freshman receiver, through the first five games, in program history. The previous high was was four, shared by Ryan Broyles and CeeDee Lamb. That puts Mims in some pretty elite company!
• Oklahoma has won seven straight games over TCU dating back to its 2015 victory. The Sooners are 9-1 against TCU since the Horned Frogs joined the Big 12 Conference prior to the 2012 season. OU’s lone loss was a 37-33 decision in 2014 in Fort Worth.
• OU has won the last five meetings against TCU by an average of 18.0 points and has allowed an average of 20.4 points in those games.
• OU held TCU to 75 rushing yards on Saturday. It was the third time this season the Sooners have held their opponent to 75 or fewer rushing yards (also vs. Missouri State and Kansas State).
• The Sooners tallied three sacks and nine tackles for loss today. Over its last two games, the OU defense has totaled nine sacks and 19 tackles for loss.
• Oklahoma saw a six-game streak of rushing for at least 200 yards against TCU end on Saturday. The Sooners ran for 166 yards on 45 carries.
• OU has scored at least 28 points in a school-record 57 consecutive games. The next longest streak nationally since at least 1980 is 31 by UCF (2017-19). The next longest active streak entering the Saturday was 18 games by SMU.
• Oklahoma led 10-0 after the first quarter and has outscored opponents 68-3 in the opening period this season. The Sooners have limited the five opponents to 249 total yards on 68 plays (3.7 average) in the opening 15 minutes.
• OU has now won 21 of its last 22 games immediately following its regular season matchup vs. Texas.
• Since the start of the 2012 season, Oklahoma is 42-8 (.840) in regular season games away from home.
Sacked TCU QB Max Duggan for a loss of 12 yards in the first quarter. All three of his tackles in the game were solo stops.
Made four field goals of 40, 22, 32 and 30 yards, tying a program record and matching his career best. He also made four field goals at
Kansas State last season.
• Scored his third touchdown of the season (all in the last two games) on a 12-yard rush in the first quarter. It was his fourth career rushing TD.
• Led the Sooners with 122 rushing yards on 22 carries (5.5 average). It was his second consecutive 100-yard rushing game (career-high 131 vs. Texas).
• Was 13 of 22 passing for 332 yards and two touchdowns. It was his second-highest career total in passing yards and marked his third game this season with at least 300 passing yards.
• Averaged 25.5 yards per completion and 15.1 yards per pass attempt.
• Compiled a 215.9 passing efficiency rating, his highest in Big 12 play this season.
• Completed five passes of at least 33 yards, including touchdowns of 50 and 61 yards to Mims.
• Has thrown for at least two TD passes in all five games this season.
Recorded a team-high nine tackles, a personal season high.
Caught three passes for a career-high 87 yards. Included was a 44-yarder, which was his longest reception of the season.
Follow us on Twitter: @SportsHeartland