Tip-Off: 6 PM CT
Location: Little Caesars Arena (Detroit, Michigan)
Television: Bally Sports Oklahoma
Radio: WWLS 98.1FM OKC The Sports Animal
Twitter: Follow @ZacharyLowNBA for live-tweets and discussion during the game
Just a few days ago, the Oklahoma City Thunder made NBA history. It was the wrong kind of history, being on the losing side of the largest margin of victory in the history of the NBA, so we’re going to move right on past that and look to a brighter future, which could start as early as tonight as the Thunder continues their brief road trip in Detroit against the Pistons.
The Thunder has lost 8 in a row, tied with Detroit for the league’s longest losing streak, so this is a game that both fanbases are probably hoping to win. Neither team is at full strength, but it should make for an interesting matchup as rookies Josh Giddey and Cade Cunningham go head-to-head for the first time in their careers. Giddey, who is returning from an illness, has had a solid start to his career, while Cade Cunningham, the NBA’s top pick in the 2021 draft, got off to a rough start with a sprained ankle. Since returning to action, though, Cunningham has proven himself to be the all-around player that many expected him to be.
Regardless of how tonight’s game goes, Thunder fans have got to chill out with all the doom and gloom after Thursday’s historical loss. Yes, it was awful, literally as bad as it gets EVER, but Oklahoma City is a rebuilding franchise with a long way to go. We will get there sooner or later, but for now, we just have to endure the challenges and enjoy the development of our young squad.
- PG: Josh Giddey
- SG: Luguentz Dort
- SF: Kenrich Williams
- PF: Darius Bazley
- C: Jeremiah Robinson-Earl
- PG: Killian Hayes
- SG: Cade Cunningham
- SF: Saddiq Bey
- PF: Jerami Grant
- C: Isaiah Stewart
- Shai Gilgeous-Alexander is OUT (concussion protocol).
- Vit Krejci is OUT (G League — On Assignment).
- Theo Maledon is OUT (G League — On Assignment).
- Aaron Wiggins is OUT (G League — Two-Way).
- Hamidou Diallo is OUT (right facial fracture).
- Cory Joseph is OUT (right knee inflammation).
- Isaiah Livers is OUT (G League — On Assignment).
- Kelly Olynyk is OUT (sprained left knee).
- Jamorko Pickett is OUT (G League — Two-Way).
- Chris Smith is OUT (G League — Two-Way).
- Since arriving in Oklahoma City in 2008, the Thunder is 18-7 against the Pistons (10-2 at home, 8-5 on the road).
- Since arriving in Oklahoma City in 2008, the Thunder has won the season series against the Pistons 7 times, lost it 1 time, and tied it 5 times.
- The Thunder went 0-2 against the Pistons last season (0-1 at home, 0-1 on the road).