Week 2 of the college football season brought us our first Big 12 conference game of the season. To say that it produced an unexpected result would be a massive understatement. Suddenly, there’s a new team at the bottom of the rankings as the Jayhawks are actually riding a wave of momentum now.
Baylor’s loss at BYU opened the door for Oklahoma to be the unanimous #1 this week in the poll. The only other unanimous vote that we had this week as the Mountaineers at #10.
Oklahoma State made a move this week as well. The Cowboys popped up from #5 last week into a two-way tie with Texas at the #2 spot. We’ve also got a tie at #5 as well with Baylor taking a plunge from #2 last week.
Texas Tech is also on the rise this week. The Red Raiders are capitalizing on West Virginia’s misery and jumping up from last week’s #10 ranking.
2022 Heartland Sports Big 12 Power Rankings
|4. Kansas State||21|
|7. Texas Tech||12|
|8. Iowa State||11|
|10. West Virginia||3|
1. Oklahoma | The slow start on Saturday was no problem for the Sooners as they still finished with a 30 point victory over the Golden Flashes. The defense is looking incredible through two games. The offense on the other hand looks like it still needs some tweaking.
2. Oklahoma State | The Pokes got off to a slow start as well against Arizona State but ended up pulling off the three score victory. If Spencer Sanders can keep up the numbers on offense I think OSU could have a special season.
3. Kansas State | Kansas State put up a perfect performance against Missouri in week two. The Wildcats are going to upset a few teams this season! With a guy like Deuce Vaughn in your backfield you’re always going to be a threat to opposing defenses.
6. Texas Tech
7. Iowa State
9. Kansas – Kansas is 2-0 with a win in conference play. Who would have thought? Not me! A nice start to the season for Coach Leipold and the Jayhawks.
10. West Virginia – Losing to Kansas is never a good look. Giving up 55 points to the Jayhawks in your home opener is an even worse look. This is one week after they nearly beat #17 Pitt on the road. It will be interesting to see where the Mountaineers season goes from here.
1. Oklahoma | The end result is all that mattered. The Sooners saw their first four possessions end with a pun and then scored on five consecutive possessions in route to a 33-3 victory over Kent State. The first road contest is looming for OU this weekend though.
2. Texas | I’m not going to punish the Longhorns for a 1-point loss to the top team in the country. I’m not big into moral victories but if I were then this would be the perfect example of one.
3. TCU | The Frogs absolutely played the worst opponent of any Big 12 program on Saturday but you can only play out the schedule.
4. Kansas State
6. Oklahoma State
7. Iowa State
8. Texas Tech
9. Baylor | Dropping Baylor was a difficult decision but at the end they lost, albeit on the road, to a lesser ranked opponent while everyone else above them did what they were expected to do.
10. West Virginia | It’s not looking good for Neal Brown right now. A home loss to Kansas won’t look good on the resume at all.
1. Oklahoma | The Sooners got off to a rough start against Kent State, but once they got it going, they put together yet another solid outing. Nebraska will be their toughest matchup thus far, but they should roll through the Cornhuskers as well.
2. Oklahoma State | The Cowboys have the most impressive non-conference win of the season, and after Baylor and Texas both lost, Oklahoma State moves up to the two spot.
3. Texas | As much as it pains me to keep Texas this high after a loss, it was an impressive loss to the then-#1 team in the country. I still think they’re overrated, but we’ll know more this weekend when they take on a solid UTSA program.
5. Kansas Sate
7. Texas Tech
8. Iowa State
9. Kansas | The Jayhawks are off to a 2-0 start for the first time since 2011, so I’ll give them some props, but every team ahead of them has a higher quality win. If Kansas really wants to move up the rankings, they need to knock off Houston this weekend.
10. West Virginia | The Mountaineers have had a bad go of it so far. A close loss to ranked Pittsburgh and an OT loss to Kansas is not how you want to start your reason. At least they should get an easy win against Towson this Saturday.
Follow us on Twitter: @SportsHeartland