If you weren’t a believer in Oklahoma’s new defense under Alex Grinch (I’m looking in the mirror) then you have to be now. The Sooners held Texas to just three points in the first half and went on to pummel Longhorn quarterback Sam Ehlinger with nine sacks on their way to a 34-27 victory at the Cotton Bowl.
- Lincoln Riley is off to a great start against Texas. Saturday’s win makes his record 3-1 against the Longhorns.
- Conversely, Sam Ehlinger is now 1-3 against Oklahoma.
- Speaking of Ehlinger, someone is going to have to walk back the talk about how close he is to Jalen Hurts in quarterback quality. The Sooners were relentless with defensive pressure but Ehlinger’s pocket awareness left a lot to be desired.
- Speaking of Jalen Hurts, he tried to force things way too much early but balanced out to a nice 16/28 passing for 235 yards, 3 touchdowns and a pick. He also ran 17 times for 131 yards and a score.
- I think another Texas defender just got hurt.
- CeeDee Lamb was the best player on the field.
- The Big 12 either doesn’t know or just flat out refuses to call holding against Neville Gallimore.
- Trey Sermon was used as a decoy in this game and it worked.
- Even with the early turnovers, Lincoln Riley had the Texas defense guessing all afternoon.
We’ve got more postgame coverage coming soon, including the recap podcast, but for now enjoy the win.
Follow us on Twitter: @SportsHeartland