Kickoff: 11:00 AM CT
Location: Oklahoma Memorial Stadium (Norman, OK)
Notes & Storylines
- Oklahoma is 97-23-6 all-time in season openers. The Sooners have won the last four season openers and 10 of its last 11. OU has also won 15 straight openers at home.
- The Sooners rank fifth in college football history with their .726 all-time winning percentage (917-329-53 record). They trail Ohio State (.730), Alabama (.729), Notre Dame (.728) and Michigan (.727).
- Since the end of World War II, OU leads all programs with 673 wins (40 more than Alabama, the program with the next most).
- This marks the 22nd straight season the Sooners have been ranked in the preseason AP poll.
- Oklahoma and Clemson are each riding streaks of six outright conference championships.
- Oklahoma has won three more Big 12 championships over the last 22 years (14) than it has lost home games.
- OU enters 2021 a winner of its last eight games, which is tied with Texas A&M for the second-longest winning streak in the country. Only Alabama (14) has a longer current streak.
- In the only previous meeting between Oklahoma and Tulane, the second-ranked Sooners posted a 56-14 win in Norman on Sept. 16, 2021.
- The Sooners averaged 10.18 yards per play in that game, which at the time marked their most ever on Owen Field.
- Oklahoma returns 17 players who started at least five of the team’s 11 games last year (seven on offense and ten on defense).
- Seven Sooners have earned preseason All-America honors from at least one organization or media outlet. They are outside linebacker Nik Bonitto, kicker Gabe Brkic, running back Kennedy Brooks, wide receiver Marvin Mims, quarterback Spencer Rattler and defensive linemen Jalen Redmond and Perrion Winfrey.
- A conference-best 10 Sooners received Big 12 preseason honors and nine were named to the 2020 Preseason All-Big 12 Football Team.
- Oklahoma ranked third nationally last season in interceptions (16), fourth in opponent third-down conversion percentage (27.9), sixth in sacks per game (3.6), ninth in rushing defense (105.1 ypg) and passing defense efficiency rating (112.9), 16th in tackles for loss per game (7.5) and 29th in total defense (350.6 ypg) and scoring defense (21.7 ppg).
Craig: 40-17 Oklahoma
Zack: 54-10 Oklahoma
Matt: 40:24 Oklahoma
Rich: 63-17 Oklahoma
Game Preview Posts
Follow us on Twitter: @SportsHeartland