For the first time in a while we’re starting to think alike in our weekly power rankings. Thanks to TCU’s comeback win over Kansas State we still unanimously have the Horned Frogs in the top spot and Oklahoma State at #2. It’s when we get to Kansas State at #3 that we have a little disagreement on. One of us thinks the Wildcats should be punished a little for blowing the lead on the road.
We’re all over the place with Texas Tech, Baylor, and West Virginia. All we seem to agree on there is that they are in the bottom half of the Big 12, we’re just not agreeing as to exactly where.
We’re still pretty solid with Iowa State at the bottom of the rankings though.
2022 Heartland Sports Big 12 Power Rankings
|2. Oklahoma State||27|
|3. Kansas State||23|
|6. Texas Tech||15|
|8. West Virginia||9|
|10. Iowa State||3|
1. TCU | The Horned Frogs solidified their spot at the top once again with a comeback win over Kansas State. Zack seems to think they are getting lucky, but I think they’re a darn good football team.
2. Oklahoma State | There isn’t a better way to bounce back from a loss than to beat Texas. I left the Pokes in the second spot after losing last week, and I’m glad I did. They proved that they are still contenders in the conference.
3. Kansas State | I’m not going to punish Kansas State for losing on the road to one of the best teams in the country. Not to mention they played essentially the entire game without Adrian Martinez. That being said, it’s about to be a tough couple of weeks as the schedule does not get any easier for the Wildcats.
7. Texas Tech
9. West Virginia | The Mountaineers have found themselves at the bottom once again after getting blown out by Texas Tech. It’s time to start wondering if West Virginia is going to make a bowl game this season.
10. Iowa State | Hard to improve on being the worst team in the conference during the bye week. The Cyclones will have another tough task this week as they host the Sooners.
1. TCU | It wasn’t as easy as the final scored indicated but the Horned Frogs did remain undefeated and continue to have a chokehold on the Big 12.
2. Oklahoma State | The Cowboys kept Texas from creeping up into the upper echelon of Big 12 contenders and continue to control their own destiny in the conference title hunt.
3. Kansas State | No shame in losing to the top team in the conference on the road. Like OSU, the Wildcats are still in control of their own destiny.
6. Texas Tech
8. West Virginia
9. Kansas | No one hates to see the Jayhawks here more than me. I’ve been one of their biggest advocates this season and they’re just one win away from being bowl eligible for the first time in more than a decade.
10. Iowa State | It was a rough week for the Cyclones to be off because there certainly was some opportunity to move up in the power rankings.
1. TCU | The Horned Frogs have one of the top offenses in the country, but their defense has the benefactor of A LOT of breaks. If they’re as good as they appear to be, they should walk untouched into the Big 12 Championship Game.
2. Oklahoma State | Just one week after melting down against TCU, the Cowboys put together an impressive comeback of their own. They need to get healthy in order to truly be a contender to win the Big 12, but if they can do that, look out.
3. Texas | The Longhorns have plenty of issues, but I have a hard time putting anybody else ahead of them right now.
4. Kansas State
5. Texas Tech
7. West Virginia
9. Kansas | The Jayhawks finally hit their downhill slide, and while it came later than I expected, it’s pretty obvious they were pretending to start the season. They might not win another game this season.
10. Iowa State | A week off doesn’t move the Cyclones up the rankings. They have a chance to move, though, with a tough one in Ames against Oklahoma this weekend.
Follow us on Twitter: @SportsHeartland